Friday, August 17, 2007




Friday, Friday, Friday.





So Imma talk a littla about Sex Vid's Tania today- 'cause I like it.






Sex Vid are an extremely aggressive 80s style hardcore group from Washington DC, the title track, of course, is in reference to Patty Hearst's name change-a-ma-jiggy thinger when she was er..sympathetic to her captors. (Ok, that kinda turned me off at the beginning 'cause I was all like..."Patty Hearst? Really? Isn't that a bit...cliche, at this point?"..but then I actually played the album and admonished myself for being such a cooler-than-thou-Toronto-hipster-fuckface.)


I would venture to say that the driving guitar/bass lines on this recording are really quite sophisticated albeit slightly less crazy than their follicular release (This girl never says SEMINAL heh heh).


IT is, without question, in the title track that one is most struck by the guitar player- Tania is slower than much of the previous three- and it's really the riff that takes centre stage. This is partly because the riff itself is a SUPER catchy repeated phrase, but also because the guitar seems to be almost the same level as the vocals, this is both a change from the previous tracks, and kind of a cool effect in and of itself. It's like the vocalist and the guitar player are competing for who can be the most violent. I FUCKING LURV IT.


Which brings me to my next point about Sex Vid: they have what I, a non-musician, grasps on to the quickest: A SOLID VOCALIST- I have a definite preference for that 80s style scream-your-fucking-face-off kinda singer vs. the more singy/whiny/pop-ish kinda styles...This dude does it WELL.


Personally I find this release kinda similar to Deep Wound in that lo-fi distorted kinda way...but nobody else agrees with me on that one, so maybe I'm just weird.



No comments: