Tuesday, August 14, 2007



So imma review Escaping Amman from the Red Dons today (no it's not a Friday, but there's nothing happening at work)
Escaping Amman-I gots da blue vinyl 7" from Deranged...
The Red Dons are essentially a re-grouping of some of the dudes from the Observers (RIP 2005) and this is pretty obvious from the sound of the record too- I thought it also sounds a bit like the Clorox Girls as well, perhaps owing in part to Maurer's influence (he's playing guitar on the album).... which is admitedly a little lighter than I'd normally go for... It's supposedly about the Middle East and kinda about the punk community as being LIKE the Middle East.
Normally that would kinda kill it for me right there, part of being shy is being COMPLETELY outside of 'community drama', so I really don't see punk hypocrisy on the same level as the damaging hypocrisy of a theocratic society...but meh...that's just me...and I don't take myself that seriously.
The vocals are actually pretty interesting, but a little too pop-rock for my personal tastes. Overall, as everybody else has said, if you like The Observers you'll like The Red Dons...I kinda feel non-plussed about both groups. Overal rating: Meh... s'okay

No comments: